What Is AVID?
AVID (Advancement Via Individual Determination) is a rigorous and intensive college-prep class offered in grades 9-12 at Bismarck High School. AVID is for students who are traditionally underserved in four-year universities but have the desire and determination to succeed in college. AVID is a class that prepares ‘the entire student’ to be ready for college, focusing on academics, leadership skills and building college/career knowledge. In the AVID Elective, students are routinely required to enroll in their school’s toughest courses, such as Honors or Advanced Placement®. Enrollment in AVID requires an application, interview and contract. Applications are available in Student Services.
AVID Frequently Asked Questions
What are the requirements for AVID?
Students in AVID are in the academic middle, have average to above average scores, and are motivated to succeed in school. AVID is not a motivational program. In fact, students have to want to improve to be in it.
Is AVID a class?
Yes. AVID is an elective class that fits in a student’s regular schedule. It is a four year program, which takes up an elective space each year at Bismarck High School.
Do students earn a grade in AVID?
Yes. Because AVID is a class in the student’s schedule, there is a grade.
What do you do in AVID?
- Learn how to take Cornell Notes in each of their classes.
- Learn test-taking strategies as well as time management and proper study skills.
- Explore college and career options while working with WICOR strategies (Writing, Inquiry, Collaboration, Organization, Reading).
- Maintain the AVID binder, which holds materials from all of their classes.
- Visit colleges across the state and possibly other states, from freshmen through senior year.
- Prepare for the SAT and ACT and begin filling out college applications.
- Helps students apply for college and college scholarships
Is AVID a motivational program?
No. AVID is only for students who have a desire to improve and have the intrinsic motivation to be successful.
Is AVID a remedial program?
No. Students chosen for the AVID program have strong academic potential.
AVID TEACHERS Phone: Tana Sukauskas 701-323-4800 Send E-Mail Jody Olheiser 701-323-4800 Send E-Mail Jordan Wilhelm 701-323-4800 Send E-Mail Megan Sletten 701-323-4800 Send E-Mail Julie Berg (Counselor) 701-323-4800 Send E-Mail Barb Coyle (Counselor 701-323-4800 Send E-Mail